IFFSnooper is an IFF file reader for the Macintosh.
were first developed by Electronic Arts in 1985 and used for many years before the Sims,
particularly on the Amiga computer sytem,
but we are interested in the IFF files used to store object data for the Maxis/Electronic Arts game
The Sims, its expansions, and
The Sims Online (TSO)/EA-Land,
an on-line version of the game which ran from 2002 until 2008.
Later versions of the Sims games, i.e. The Sims 2
and its expansions, and The Sims 3 and its expansions,
use different file formats such as DBPF files.
IFFSnooper does not handle object files for these later versions.
Current release version: IFFSnooper 1.2.4 (released 11 dec 2011)
Current test version: IFFSnooper 1.2.5d1 (private testing)
IFFSnooper is a work in progress.
What IFFSnooper does
IFFSnooper opens up Sims 1 IFF files (usually identifiable in the Finder by the .iff file
extension) and displays their resources. Some of these are editable.
The IFFSnooper tab panel interface, Mac OS 9 version
- The DGRP tab panel displays a tile from the file SculpturesDeluxe2.iff
(original Maxis object).
- SculpturesDeluxe2.iff is a multi-object IFF file so the File -- Subclone
submenu can be used to subclone a component object, such as the lawn pagoda.
The IFFSnooper tab panel interface, MacOS X 10.6.8 (IFFSnooper 1.2.4)
IFFSnooper can open up other Sims 1 files such as wall files ( .wll files),
floor files ( .flr files)
and .FAM files since these are all IFF files with alternate file extensions.
You can also use IFFSnooper to make your own walls, floors and simple objects
from imported graphics.
IFFSnooper should run on any PowerPC Macintosh running OS 8.5 or higher.
It has been tested on MacOS versions 8.6 to 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).
The IFFSnooper version for OS X is Carbonized and needs Carbon version 1.2.5 or higher.
IFFSnooper is compiled as a PowerPC application which runs without problems on
Intel-based Macs under OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) with Rosetta.
IFFSnooper will not run under OS 10.7 (Lion) or later versions.
Where to find it
You can download IFFSnooper from the following sites:
SimLouvre Yahoo! group (group members only)
Program code and webpage copyright © 2002 - 2013 Peter Gould
All sprite object art on these pages is used for purposes of illustration only.
The Sims and
The Sims Online (TSO)/EA-Land
are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc.
The following resources can be displayed in the main tab panel.
- To open an object IFF file use Cmd-O
- To view the IFF header use Cmd-I
- To view the rsmp section use Cmd-M
- To view the OBJD section
use Cmd-1 or click on the OBJD tab
- To view the CTSS section use Cmd-2 or click on the CTSS tab
- To view the DGRP section
use Cmd-3 or click on the DGRP tab
- To view the sprite section
use Cmd-4 or click on the SPR2 or SPR# tab
- To view the PALT section use Cmd-5 or click on the PALT tab
- To view the BMP_ section use Cmd-6 or click on the BMP_ tab
- To view the STR# section use Cmd-7 or click on the STR# tab
- To view the TTAs section use Cmd-8 or click on the TTAs tab
- To view the TTAB section
use Cmd-9 or click on the TTAB tab
- To view other resources as hex data
- Sometimes menus will be inactive (dimmed) if a particular resource is unavailable.
- Sometimes the tab titles will be replaced by "....." if a particular resource is unavailable.
- Sometimes the tab titles will show a different, but similar resource, to those listed above.
Use the tab panel to select the resource you are interested in.
Navigate -- Next Resource or
Navigate -- Previous Resource
to view the next or previous resource of the same type, as written in the IFF file.
Resources are not necessarily found in any particular order within the IFF file,
so it may be easier to navigate a complex set of resources via the
Navigate -- **** resource list
(where **** is the current resource type). This method provides the most navigation options.
IFFSnooper tab panel navigation submenu (IFFSnooper 1.2.3, MacOS X 10.5.2 Intel)
- The DGRP tab panel displays a tile from the file Sculptures2.iff
(original Maxis object).
- The Navigate -- DGRP resource list submenu
lists all available DGRP resources in this file.
There are Previous and Next navigation buttons on the resource tab panels.
Navigating SPR# and SPR2 resources
To change the current sprite frame view use the menus
Navigate -- Next Frame or
Navigate -- Previous Frame
or use the buttons on the SPR2/SPR# tab panel.
- To rotate an object SPR2 image use the NE, SE, SW or NW buttons.
- To rotate a wall SPR# image use the Left, Front or Right buttons.
- To zoom in and out use the zoom buttons.
- Sometimes buttons will be inactive (dimmed) if an action is unavailable.
Floor files use separate SPR2 files for each magnification, and don't have rotations.
Wall files use separate SPR# files for each magnification.
Thought balloon SPR# files (in Sprites.iff) don't have rotations.
Using IFFSnooper to make and edit objects
This page was getting too long so i have broken it into subsections.
There is complete version history here.
There are shorter update notes at the bottom of this page.
For details about the IFF file format:
The Sims Technical Library
For Mac-friendly custom objects.
For objects, skins and some
Mac Sims utilities.
For Mac-friendly objects (and an
For objects, skins and other neat Sims stuff.
for custom "hacked" objects.
The REALBasic project file for IFFSnooper 1.2.4 in hqx format.
You will need a copy of REALBasic
version 4.5.3 in order to run or compile your own version.
and the following plug-in
Copyright © 1999-2003, Micono Utilities. All rights reserved.
sample HTML output
This software is distributed 'as is': no warranties are made, either expressed or implied.
Use it at your discretion.
UPDATE NOTES 2002 - 2012
11 Dec 2011
- Implemented direct import of .bmp files into BMP_ resources
- Implemented PALT edit routines
- Implemented resizable windows
- Implemented resource duplication from the MoreResources window
- Improved display of dynamic sprites
- Improved import of images for picture objects
- Improved BCON edit routines with optional TRCN editor
- Additional bug fixes and polish to existing features
31 Mar 2008
- Implemented BCON edit routines
- Implemented BHAV edit routines
- Implemented OBJf edit routines
- Implemented SLOT edit routines
- Improved STR# edit routines
- Improved TTAB edit routines
- Plants are now correctly categorized as Buy mode objects
11 Jan 2007
- Fixed a bug when editing CTSS resources with no description field
29 Oct 2006
- Implemented import of images for picture objects
- Improved display of certain BMP_ resources
- Improved display of BHAV resources
13 May 2006
- Fixed subcategories in OBJD edit routine
- Implemented check for GUID code when editing OBJD resources
- Implemented GUID reference display
- Implemented import of certain hex data resources
12 Mar 2006
- Fixed language code bug in TTAs edit routine
- Fixed "unexpected quit" bug under MacOS X Tiger
- Added "Add Menu" option to TTAB edit screen
- Added "Resequence" option to BHAV viewer
- Implemented DGRP offset autoscale
- Improved display of BHAV resources
- Improved handling of GUID updates
- Improved sprite export under MacOS X
04 Aug 2005
- Fixed bug in DGRP routines
- Implemented object oriented BHAV routines
- Implemented object oriented rsmp routines
- Revised CTSS routines to handle text encoding
- Revised DGRP and
SPR2 display orientation for tmog compatibilty
30 Apr 2005
- Fixed bug in update routines for BHAV resources in cloned objects
- Fixed bug in object oriented SPR# frame navigation
- Implemented multitile DGRP context display
- Implemented object oriented OBJD routines
- Improved display of SLOT resources
- Improved feedback when editing DGRP values
- Improved handling of very large sprite lists in drawgroups
- Improved import of wallpaper images
for cutouts and outlines
- Revised import / export routines for TMog compatibilty
15 jan 2005
29 nov 2004
12 oct 2004
09 aug 2004
19 apr 2004
07 feb 2004
09 nov 2003
20 sept 2003
22 july 2002